Roadkill ? What to do !


Roadkill What to do ?

What happens if you are involved in an accident that involves an animal ?

What should you do if you hit an animal on the road ?


Officially and Legally !

The first question you need to ask yourself is is the animal actually an “animal” in the eyes of the law. According to the Road Traffic act of 1988 you only have to inform the police and report the incident if the animal is either a dog, goat, horse, cattle, donkey, mule, sheep or a pig.

Common sense however tells us to

If you have to stop, you must stay with your car long enough for any affected parties to ask for details if they need to. For example, this could be the owner of an injured animal, the RSPCA or the police.

If you MUST approach the injured animal, approach with caution, it is likely to be nervous, scared and could attack you for self preservation, remember its an animal and doesnt actually know you are trying to help it. If the animal does let you approach it, and it looks like it could be someones pet, try and look for an ID tag on its collar.

What if I’m involved in an accident with a wild animal ?

If you find an injured wild animal on the road. Simply  call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999, or if possible take it to a vet. don’t worry about the vets fee’s as you will not be held responsible.

You’ve not mentioned cats yet !!!!!

I know, I know. As you will have noticed cats are NOT on the list of animals that you need to report to the police. However should you be involved in an accident with a cat our advice would be to either contact your nearest vet or you can contact the local Cat protection league (Bolton details are Email: boltoncats@hotmail.co.uk  Telephone: 07760 780759


About the Author admin